My fun little blog detailing all things pop culture...well, the interesting bits. I'll be covering music, television, film, and other similar areas of interest. I'll try to post at least once a day. Look for about 50% information, 50% opinion...but this is NOT a gossip blog. I am not Perez Hilton!

Thursday, December 25, 2008

What's new in theaters today - Christmas edition!

Happy holidays everybody!  Here's the films opening today; it looks like there should be something for everyone in your family.

Opening in Wide release:
  • Bedtime Stories - Adam Sandler's life is turned upside down when the imaginative bedtime tales he tells his niece and nephew become reality.  Adam Sandler comedy + Disney kids flick = no thanks for me.  Rated PG.
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt stars in the peculiar story of a man who is born in his eighties and ages backwards, becoming younger through time.  Directed by David Fincher, of "Se7en," "Fight Club" and "Zodiac" fame.  I can't wait to see this movie; I love movies of this nature (i.e. adult fairy tales, like "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Big Fish").  I really think this'll be one of the best movies of the year.  Rated PG-13.
  • Marley & Me - Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson are a couple who adopt a puppy tha becomes a rollicking force of nature in their lives.  Not my kind of movie, but I'm sure a lot of people will like it.  Rated PG.
  • The Spirit - After coming back from the dead, a man fights crime from the shadows of Central City as the masked crusader known as The Spirit.  This looks just like "Sin City," which I loved, but I'm starting to think that it might be a 2nd or 3rd rate knock-off of that film (despite that this was directed by Frank Miller, who created the original "Sin City" comics).  I'll see it eventually, but I'd rather just see "Sin City 2" instead.  Rated PG-13.
  • Valkyrie - Tom Cruise stars in the true story of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg and the daring plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler.  The movie looks like it could be pretty good, but I'm confused why Tom Cruise was cast in this film as a German... he doesn't even try to fake an accent!  Rated PG-13.
Opening in Selected release:
  • Revolutionary Road - Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet are a young couple in the 1950s trying to find fulfillment in an age of conformity.  Watching two yuppies bitch and moan at each other for two hours?  No thanks, especially when I've already got the far-more-interesting "Mad Men" to spend my time with.  Rated R.
  • Last Chance Harvey - Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson star as down-on-their-luck strangers who meet by chance and transform one another's lives.  This kind of film probably has an audience, but it's not me.  Rated PG-13.
  • Waltz with Bashir - A filmmaker journeys to discover the truth about an Israeli Army mission that left him with a loss of memory about the events.  This film is animated, but tells a powerful and engrossing story about the effects of war.  Definitely a film to watch for.  Rated R.